What is the Local Map Pack?
When you search for local businesses or carry out a search with a specified geographic location on Google, it typically displays a map of the area along with the contact details for 3 local businesses. This is typically referred to as the Local 3 Pack or Local Map Pack.
As you can imagine, competition for the Map Pack can be fierce especially in more valuable local niches.
Ranking in the Map Pack typically relies on a number of factors including;
- Verified and optimised Google My Business Listing
- Onpage Optimisation and Structured Data Markup
- Local and niche relevant citations (done properly!)
Google My Business Setup
As an important first step in any local SEO strategy you will need to claim and verify your businesses Google My Business (GMB) listing. Setting up your GMB page includes
- Register here – https://www.google.com/business/
- Add you business name, address and phone number and submit
- You may need to wait for up to 2 weeks for your verification postcard to arrive
- Your verification postcard will include an important pin which you will need to add to your GMB profile page – mybusiness.google.com
- Once you have verified your GMB page you will need to set about optimising the listing.
For an indepth guide on optimising your GMB page, onpage elements and creating citations ‘the right way’ please email us to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Google My Business Video’ and we’ll send you our over the shoulder guide.